Judith Lautner (judith) wrote,
Judith Lautner

The morning after, part deux

I had hopes of getting home by three. I was so tired that I stopped a couple of times to rest for ten minutes or so.  This because I did not get out of Las Vegas until eight the night before and got to Mojave at about 12:30 a.m. Then woke at about six. Just not enough sleep.

I was headed up the 101, approaching the Tefft Street offramp, thinking maybe I should stop there to buy a little food before going home, when my car started losing power. I made it up the offramp and the check engine light came on again. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, a lot for "R Gasoline" on the corner. The same parking lot, the same space, that I pulled into with my corsica about four and a half years ago the night it died.

These symptoms scare me. I can't think of anything that isn't huge that causes a loss of power like that. But I could be wrong.

Once again I called the auto club. Once again I called a Honda dealer. In this case, Sunset Honda in SLO, where I bought my car. Once again I was in the tow truck listening to country music. Thank heaven it wasn't talk radio either time. THis driver was more reticent, but was answering his cell phone all the way. He was working on his day off, was quite friendly and interested in my quandary. He said it was his fourth trip into SLO (his company is in Santa Maria, about 35 miles away) that day, towing cars. He was happy enough to take the long trips, didn't get as wet. It had been raining a lot and he said it is projected to rain through friday. A far quieter guy.

The Honda service man looked at the car underneath, said there was a lot of oil there that had gotten there since I'd been to the Bakersfield dealer, yet the dip stick showed the oil reservoir full. He could not devine from his inspection just what had gone wrong, and it was getting late in the day. So he sent me home with his driver and I will hear today what they find. I grabbed my laptop but nothing else, which I now regret. Wish I had gotten the key to the mailbox and some other things. But of course I have enough to live, to change.

What topped it when I got home was that when I pulled out my laptop, my lifeline, it wouldn't turn on! A few blinking lights, no sound, no action. I plugged it in and still got nothing. I waited, tried again, no good. I started to think about possibilities. Power supply? Bad battery? It occurred to me that I had somehow neglected to turn it off when I left the motel and it had drained completely. When I woke up at about three this morning, restless, I tried again, got nothing but a few blinking lights, no new lights. I found my manual. It said to "reinstall battery". I did. Tried it again and it worked. Joy of joys!

The rain is coming down. The folks at work are cool about this. I don't know of any emergency things I need to do there, thank heaven. I wait. I have my baby, my laptop, I am in touch, I'll be fine.

  • The Jerry Bruckheimer Effect

    I suppose it is the curse of anyone who is musical to be unable to ignore music. I am plagued by the piped in music in stores and I choke when I hear…

  • Adventures Downtown

    Yesterday I went downtown three times. The first time I passed by the pasty place and decided to stop and get one. The second time was to pick up a…

  • (no subject)

    NetworkedBlogs Blog: Judith's Topics: Personal, Mental Illness, Animal Rights Follow my blog

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded