1. Primary reason: to release the feelings and thoughts that get bottled up inside me.
2. To write. Some of us just need to write. Anything.
3. To track progress or information about myself: about my arthritis program, about my migraine headaches, about anything that takes place and changes over time. Documenting.
4. To share some insights I have with others. And to clarify in writing what those insights actually are, for myself.
5. To share events and thoughts with others and to hear their responses. In other words, to be heard and to hear.
I suspect there are more reasons than five but these seem the most important.